Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What else are we missing?
napman Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 91
What else are we missing?
This is a true experiment? reflection? Smile

Washington, DC Metro Station on a cold January morning. A man with a violin plays six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time approx. 2 thousand people passed through the station, most of them on their way to work. After 3 minutes a middle-aged man noticed there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried to meet his schedule.

4 minutes later:
The violinist received his first dollar: a woman threw the money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk.

6 minutes:
A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.

10 minutes:
A 3-year old boy stopped but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. Every parent, without exception, forced their children to move on quickly.

45 minutes:
The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.

1 hour:
He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin valued at $3.5 million dollars. Two days before, Joshua Bell sold out a theater in Boston where the price of seats averaged $100.

This is a true story. Joshua Bell playing incognito in the metro station was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people's priorities. The questions raised: in a commonplace environment at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? Do we stop to appreciate it? Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?

One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made... what else are we missing?
[A friendship needs a little mulch of contacts every so often-just to save it from drying out completely.

I always have great pleasure being alone by myself to play, If you're playing for any other reason, it won't last.
http://youtu.be/_tkGVGOKQ8c
19-08-2009, 22:06
Website Find Like Post Reply
Maow Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 53
RE: What else are we missing?
ผมว่ามันก็พูดลำบากเหมือนกันที่ประเด็นที่ว่าเอานักดนตรีระดับโลกมาเล่นในสถานที่ๆ มีคนพลุกพล่าน ในชั่วโมงที่เร่งด่วน แต่ละคนก็มีภาระหรือธุระที่ต้องรีบไปสะสาง หากแต่จะหยุดเพื่อฟังศิลปินท่านนี้ก็คงทำให้เสียเวลาหรือเสียโอกาสบางอย่าง

บางครั้งมันอาจต้องพิจารณาถึง ช่วงจังหวะของเวลา บรรยากาศ หรือกาละเทสะด้วย

แต่ผมคิดเล่นๆ ว่าหากมีใครสักคนหยุดฟังแล้วจำศิลปินท่านนี้ได้ แล้วตะโกนหรือซุบซิปต่อๆกันไปว่าเป็นระดับโลก เพลงที่เล่นก็เป็นเพลงระดับสุดยอด ผมว่าอาจมีอเมริกันมุงก็เป็นได้ครับ เพราะผมเคยยืนดูท้องฟ้าที่ว่างเปล่าข้างๆตึกหลังหนึ่งที่ไม่มีอะไรเลย แต่เพียงผมชี้นิ้วขึ้นไปบนฟ้าแล้วตะโกนออกมาดังๆว่า เฮ้ย...โน้นอะไรก็ไม่รู้ มาดูเร็ว ในช่วงเวลาไม่ถึงนาที ไทยมุงมารุมดูกันไม่ต่ำกว่าห้าสิบคน
19-08-2009, 22:26
Find Like Post Reply
poPPie Offline
APFC or NMFC

Likes Given: 23
อยากรู้ต่อครับน้าหม่าว กั้กๆๆๆๆ Smile

พอ 50 คนนั้น รู้ว่าน้าหม่าวหลอก

ช่วงเวลาไม่กีวินาทีที่เหลือนั้น น้าหม่าวทำอะไรต่อไปครับ ? Big Grin
19-08-2009, 23:10
Find Like Post Reply
Maow Offline
VIP member

(19-08-2009, 23:10)poPPie Wrote: อยากรู้ต่อครับน้าหม่าว กั้กๆๆๆๆ Smile

พอ 50 คนนั้น รู้ว่าน้าหม่าวหลอก

ช่วงเวลาไม่กีวินาทีที่เหลือนั้น น้าหม่าวทำอะไรต่อไปครับ ? Big Grin

ผมค่อยๆ เดินจากมาจากนั้นเพื่อนๆที่อยู่ข้างๆ มันก็รับลูกต่อครับ
ส่วนผมปลอดภัยดีจากสหบาทา
19-08-2009, 23:35
Find Like Post Reply
napman Offline
VIP member

(19-08-2009, 22:26)Maow Wrote: ผมว่ามันก็พูดลำบากเหมือนกันที่ประเด็นที่ว่าเอานักดนตรีระดับโลกมาเล่นในสถานที่ๆ มีคนพลุกพล่าน ในชั่วโมงที่เร่งด่วน แต่ละคนก็มีภาระหรือธุระที่ต้องรีบไปสะสาง หากแต่จะหยุดเพื่อฟังศิลปินท่านนี้ก็คงทำให้เสียเวลาหรือเสียโอกาสบางอย่าง

บางครั้งมันอาจต้องพิจารณาถึง ช่วงจังหวะของเวลา บรรยากาศ หรือกาละเทสะด้วย

Hi Maow,
I think Joshua just tried to let us see "What else we are missing" when we are so hurry and don't have time to really see what is going on around us. Sad

I truely believed that he didn't want to attract any attention or things like that. He has more than enough of that.Big Grin

So what else you are missing today?Cool
[A friendship needs a little mulch of contacts every so often-just to save it from drying out completely.

I always have great pleasure being alone by myself to play, If you're playing for any other reason, it won't last.
20-08-2009, 00:58
SARUN Offline
Very Imperfect People

Likes Given: 176
(19-08-2009, 22:06)napman Wrote: 45 minutes:
The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while.

... what else are we missing?

เพลงชั้นดี จาก นักดนตรีชั้นยอด มีแต่ ?นักดนตรี? เท่านั้น ที่จะทนฟังได้นาน
เพลงชั้นดี มีแต่ ?นักฟังเพลง? เท่านั้น ที่จะทนฟังได้นาน
เพลง มีแต่ ผู้ที่ ?ว่าง? เท่านั้น ที่จะทนฟังได้นาน

ผมเดาว่า 6 คนนั้น เป็นพวก "นักดนตรี" แหงๆ Cool
ส่วนที่เหลือ..เป็นพวก "ไม่ว่าง" Wink
*?*?,
?,,?*?*?
?*?,,?*?*?
?
?

@_@~??"If I leave here tomorrow" ...Sad ??~@_@
20-08-2009, 09:03
Find Like Post Reply
Maow Offline
VIP member

น้า Nap และน้า Sarun ครับ ถ้างั้นอาจสรุปอย่างนี้ได้ไหมครับ

ความเร่งรีบ หรือ การแข่งขันที่เกิดขึ้นทุกชั่วขณะตั้งแต่ตื่นจนเข้านอน ตั้งแต่เกิดจนตาย ทำให้ความละเมียดของอารมณ์และจิตใจลดน้อยลงไป หากเพียงแต่เรามีที่ว่างเพียงสักเล็กน้อยในใจ และสนใจกับสิ่งที่เกิดรอบข้างตัว แม้แต่หยุดคิดใคร่ควรพิจารณาอย่างมีสติเพียงนิด สังคมน่าจะมีอุณหภูมิของความร้อนแรงลดลงได้บ้าง
20-08-2009, 09:10
Find Like Post Reply
SARUN Offline
Very Imperfect People

สังคมที่มีอุณหภูมิสูง ทุกวันนี้
สงสัยเพราะ "จิต - ไม่ว่าง" และ "ตัว - ว่างมาก"
*?*?,
?,,?*?*?
?*?,,?*?*?
?
?

20-08-2009, 09:23
Find Like Post Reply
napman Offline
VIP member

Hi Maow and Sarun,

Ever wonder the connection of Enlightenment and Prince Sidhatha some 2530 plus years ago??Big Grin

20-08-2009, 10:20
SARUN Offline
Very Imperfect People

เคยแปลกใจเหมือนกันครับ

รวมทั้งเรื่อง ของน้าJoshua
เมืองไทยก็เคยมีเรื่องราวแบบนี้ด้วย

ถ้าใครไม่สะดวกอ่านเรื่องยาวข้างต้น ลองดู clip นี้ก็ได้ เหมือนกัน เป๊ะ!
*?*?,
?,,?*?*?
?*?,,?*?*?
?
?

20-08-2009, 12:23
Find Like Post Reply