Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MANHA DE CARNAVAL (Morning of the Carnival)
Microtone Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: MANHA DE CARNAVAL (Morning of the Carnival)
(18-07-2009, 21:27)napman Wrote: Hey W@@dy,
I remember him (Thau), didn't have much of a chance to talk to him in TU time. Still remember he's Ketaran favorite friendCool

Wondering what become of him now?Wink

The first time I went back to Thailand (1977) there was a curfew and I couldn't party too late. One night, these guys เปี๊ยกเล็ก (VIP bassist), เปี๊ยกใหญ่ (Impossible drummer), โย (keyboardist พิณโย), and เฒ่า (สำราญ ทองตัน) took me to a private party (you know the kind you sit on the floor with bamboo ???, sweet desserts, and whiskey). We had a good time and talked about everything all night long until dawn. Later on, while in the US, I had a conversation with เฒ่า on the phone and found out that he was calling me from Berklee (and not "Berkeley" Thanks... Napman), Boston where he was studying. I wasn't surprised at all.

In 2004, I went back to Thailand and had some time to see many of my old friends, including แมว who I went to see at his house in Pattaya. Then one day in BKK, while in a car, เฒ่า called me from Phuket and we talked until my cellphone (mobile) ran out of batteries. From what I understand, he's become a respectable person in the Thai music business and he also owns a music school in Phuket where he resides. He's one of those who I consider extremely artistic and believe me when I say this as I have seen many examples both authentic & fake.

This year (April-May) I went to Thailand again, although I had a limited time I managed to visit Narin (a guitar maker) at his 3 story factory in ลาดพร้าว(?). I brought along a "Martin Guitar Book" for Narin and a very nice T shirt with T'Bone Walker silkscreened on the front for เฒ่า but I didn't have a chance to go to Phuket to see him or even ring him up.

I have included links for you to read about him (เฒ่า) but he's probably reading my post right now, who knows! I wish he'd come and join us here at NimitGuitar.... that would be dynamite but I don't think he has time off from his network.

To me สำราญ ทองตัน (เฒ่า) and เขตต์อรัญ เลิศพิพัฒน์ are similar in character. I'm telling you ! Some kind of gifted friends we had eh! Nice guys too! I have a few stories to tell about เขตต์อรัญ too but I have to be in a good mood to think and write about him or I can easily get depressed. They are good ol' boys! My Unsung Heroes! (Hint: Have you noticed that I've kept my mouth sealed from talking about the rich & famous ones?).

Note: He (เฒ่า) has written some great articles in his Blog "Taltritone" (see links below) and as much as I want to talk to him I didn't want to contact him through that channel because I didn't want to freak him out. You could search it by copying & pasting this "สำราญ ทองตัน" (WITH quotation marks) in both Google & Yahoo Search to find more info. From what I've read online, I understand that he has done quite a number of arranging & promotional work in the Jazz music arena. Besides his Jazz reviews, I have yet to see his other works but one thing I'm certain of is that no matter what kind of work ever comes out from this guy, they come straight from his pure passion equipped with his honesty. That's why I like him very much.

And YOU sir !!! Mr.ทองตัน ...if you happen to read this you should know who I am. You can join us here and maybe I can learn something new from you and in return I may have some rare recordings of Louis Armstrong for you. How's that, Buddy??? Ha ha ha ha.....Okay... if you still have a "Senior Moment" I'll give you a clue
.....remember the guy who had too many guitars and was the "only Thai person in the whole world" who had his guitars pictured in Tom Wheeler's "American Guitars" Book 30 years ago?..... I'm that guy.

There you've got it, Napman(du)
w@@dro.

http://www.tkpark.or.th/th/knwldZn/msc/m...x?id=11332

http://www.taltritone.com/
[Image: ngsarah03.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 21-07-2009, 00:54 by Microtone.)
20-07-2009, 14:54
Find Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: MANHA DE CARNAVAL (Morning of the Carnival) - by Microtone - 20-07-2009, 14:54