Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
May you RIP Mr. Moon River
napman Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 91
May you RIP Mr. Moon River
Time's up for another singer who made a lot of people happy with his voice; Thanks for sharing your VOICE with us.

Andy Williams

ST. LOUIS (AP) — With a string of gold albums, a hit TV series and the signature "Moon River," Andy Williams was a voice of the 1960s, although not the '60s we usually hear about.

"The old cliche says that if you can remember the 1960s, you weren't there," the singer once recalled. "Well, I was there all right, but my memory of them is blurred — not by any drugs I took but by the relentless pace of the schedule I set myself."

Williams' plaintive tenor, boyish features and easy demeanor helped him outlast many of the rock stars who had displaced him and such fellow crooners as Frank Sinatra and Perry Como. He remained on the charts into the 1970s, and continued to perform in his 80s at the Moon River Theatre he built in Branson, Mo. In November 2011, when Williams announced that he had been diagnosed with bladder cancer, he vowed to return to performing the following year: His 75th in show business.

Williams died Tuesday night at his home in Branson following a yearlong battle with the disease, his Los Angeles-based publicist, Paul Shefrin, said Wednesday. He was 84.

He became a major star the same year as Elvis Presley, 1956, with the Sinatra-like swing "Canadian Sunset," and for a time he was pushed into such Presley imitations as "Lips of Wine" and the No. 1 smash "Butterfly." But he mostly stuck to what he called his "natural style," and kept it up throughout his career. In 1970, when even Sinatra had given up and (temporarily) retired, Williams was in the top 10 with the theme from "Love Story," the Oscar-winning tearjerker. He had 18 gold records and three platinum, was nominated for five Grammy awards and hosted the Grammy ceremonies for several years.

Movie songs became a specialty, from "Love Story" and "Days of Wine and Roses" to "Moon River." The longing Johnny Mercer-Henry Mancini ballad was his most famous song, even though he never released it as a single because his record company feared such lines as "my huckleberry friend" were too confusing and old-fashioned for teens. The song was first performed by Audrey Hepburn in the beloved 1961 film "Breakfast at Tiffany's," but Mancini thought "Moon River" ideal for Williams, who recorded it in "pretty much one take" and also sang it at the 1962 Academy Awards. Although "Moon River" was covered by countless artists and became a hit single for Jerry Butler, Williams made the song his personal brand. In fact, he insisted on it.

"When I hear anybody else sing it, it's all I can to do stop myself from shouting at the television screen, 'No! That's my song!'" Williams wrote in his 2009 memoir, titled, fittingly, "Moon River and Me."

[A friendship needs a little mulch of contacts every so often-just to save it from drying out completely.

I always have great pleasure being alone by myself to play, If you're playing for any other reason, it won't last.
http://youtu.be/_tkGVGOKQ8c
(This post was last modified: 27-09-2012, 06:28 by napman.)
27-09-2012, 00:12
Website Find Like Post Reply
karn Offline
you may say I'm a dreamer

Likes Given: 81
RE: May you RIP Mr. Moon River
เป็นศิลปินอีกท่านที่ผมฟังมาตั้งแต่เล็กๆ เพราะพ่อชอบฟัง
RIP ครับ คาดว่าพ่อผมคงดีใจที่ศิลปินคนโปรดตามไปร้องเพลงให้ฟัง Big Grin
In my life, I love you more... [Image: 2685i.jpg]

27-09-2012, 01:02
Find Like Post Reply
pood Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 13
แม้เขาจะล่วงลับไปแต่ "Moon River" คงไม่มีวันตายครับ

27-09-2012, 10:40
Find Like Post Reply
Tai Labour Offline
ป๊อก8 2 เด้ง

Likes Given: 47
(27-09-2012, 01:02)karn Wrote: เป็นศิลปินอีกท่านที่ผมฟังมาตั้งแต่เล็กๆ เพราะพ่อชอบฟัง
RIP ครับ คาดว่าพ่อผมคงดีใจที่ศิลปินคนโปรดตามไปร้องเพลงให้ฟัง Big Grin

RIP...

สาธุ...
ให้แกไปร้องก่อนนานๆ เพราะพ่อชอบฟังแต่ Hank williams กับ Johnny Horton (ซึ่งไปก่อนนานแล้วเหมือนกัน)
พ่อนี่ลูกทุ่งสุดๆ นอนเป่าหีบเพลงสลับร้องตาม เผลอๆ มีโห่แถมอีกด้วย
เปล่า! แกร้องเลียนเสียงไปงั้นแหละ อ่านพอได้แต่แปลไม่ออกหรอก 555

ส่วนตัว ฟังบ่อยๆ ก็ Feelings ครับ
รู้ซึ้งถึงคำว่า ฟีลลิ่ง เลย ว่าขนาดไหน?

ขอบคุณพี่แนบครับ
ที่รายงานข่าวเศร้า แต่กลับทำให้เรามีความสุขได้เมื่อย้อนนึกถึงและกลับไปฟังอีก Big Grin
============ เพื่อความบันเทิง =============

27-09-2012, 11:20
napman Offline
VIP member

(27-09-2012, 10:40)pood Wrote: แม้เขาจะล่วงลับไปแต่ "Moon River" คงไม่มีวันตายครับ

What the heck Pood!!

Never in my wildest dream that I ever thought of Beck and Clapton would do this song in PUBLIC!!

What's wrong (or should I say "Right"?) with them? Are they getting old or what??

Seriously, any good song will sound good anytime by any good players of any age, no?

And yeah Labour, you're so right with what you just saidRolleyes
[A friendship needs a little mulch of contacts every so often-just to save it from drying out completely.

I always have great pleasure being alone by myself to play, If you're playing for any other reason, it won't last.
27-09-2012, 23:23
pood Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 13
เพลง "Moon River" ความจริงแล้วไม่ใช่เพลงที่ Andy Williams ร้องเป็นคนแรกแต่เป็นเพลง main Theme song ของหนังเรื่อง "Breakfast at Tiffany" (1961)

ผมว่าเพลงนี้ที่เล่นด้วยกีตาร์ตัวเดียวอย่างใน version แรกเพราะมากครับ โดยเฉพาะเมื่อเล่นและร้องโดยผู้หญิงที่สวยที่สุดในโลกในสายตาของผม

พี่ Nap ลองเล่นให้ฟังหน่อยครับ
28-09-2012, 10:33
Find Like Post Reply
lekleklek Offline
VIP rachada member

Likes Given: 50
(28-09-2012, 10:33)pood Wrote: เพลง "Moon River" ความจริงแล้วไม่ใช่เพลงที่ Andy Williams ร้องเป็นคนแรกแต่เป็นเพลง main Theme song ของหนังเรื่อง "Breakfast at Tiffany" (1961)

ผมว่าเพลงนี้ที่เล่นด้วยกีตาร์ตัวเดียวอย่างใน version แรกเพราะมากครับ โดยเฉพาะเมื่อเล่นและร้องโดยผู้หญิงที่สวยที่สุดในโลกในสายตาของผม

เคลิ้มเลย สวยที่สุดในโลกในสายตาผมด้วยครับ Big Grin สเป๊กเลย
28-09-2012, 13:53
Find Like Post Reply
napman Offline
VIP member

(28-09-2012, 10:33)pood Wrote: เพลง "Moon River" ความจริงแล้วไม่ใช่เพลงที่ Andy Williams ร้องเป็นคนแรกแต่เป็นเพลง main Theme song ของหนังเรื่อง "Breakfast at Tiffany" (1961)

พี่ Nap ลองเล่นให้ฟังหน่อยครับ

Much obliged to your request PoodWink

Audrey Heburn was a real beauty to my eyes, believe me or not, I liked her appearance even more when she was older before she passed away. Anyway I did upload my YouTube of this song almost unintentionally very recently.

You see, I'm involved in Group Skype chatting among the old musicians who are living in Sweden and Switzerland. Tom B who is living in Switzerland was the one who just started it about a week or two ago. We group Skype to each other and it's quite a lot of fun.

Yesterday we had 1 from Sweden, 1 from Switzerland,1 from Germany, 1 from US, 1 from Pattaya Thailand and 1 from Chiangmai Thailand!! We talked about Andy Williams and they asked me to sing LIVE to them through Skype and I chose "Moon river" to honor Andy Williams. After I did that LIVE, I thought about doing the recording and put it up at YouTube and I did that!

I also put this clip at "Campfire" thread. But for what it's worth, here it is too since you requestedBig Grin

(This post was last modified: 28-09-2012, 23:25 by napman.)
28-09-2012, 23:23
Tingnal Away
Posting Freak

Likes Given: 1
RIP Andy Williams ครับ
สุดท้ายก็กลับคืนสู่ธรรมชาติ
29-09-2012, 00:37
agoodmouse Offline

Likes Given: 7