Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Santa Cruz OM and OM/PW's Tone and Neck playabilty
napman Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 91
Santa Cruz OM and OM/PW's Tone and Neck playabilty
Maow PMed me as below. I PMed him back and then without asking for his permission, I copied and pasted mine here. I don't see any confidential matter of what he asked me and I think it'd be better to share it here just in case some others are curious to know too.

I'm quite sure that Maow doesn't mind and essentially as a Professional teacher like him who alway willing to pass on their knowledge whenever they canTongue

[quote='Maow']
น้า Nap ครับ
อยากทราบว่า santa cruz OM ที่เป็นตัว standard แตกต่างจากตัวที่เป็น prewar อย่างไรบ้างครับ ถ้าหากเทียบกันในเรื่องของเสียง และ playability ของ neck

Dear Maow,

Strictly In My Opinion, the "sound" different between OM and OM/PW that I own are quite substantial to my ears. But bear in mind that the OM is 2004 (ser#2436) while OM/PW is 2007 (ser#3461) so I'm not sure if the age differential plays a major factor to their sounds or not, so you may have to take that into some consideration too even if physically they both are just like brand new ( I bought both of them USED).

Also I'm using D'addario J16 and Elixir Nanoweb 80/20 Bronze light gauge strings in comparing these 2 guitars. The results are clear to me that if you're blindfolded and play these 2 guitars you will recognize each of them with no mistake.

The sound (tone) of OM to me is more pronounce, "In your face", punching, subtly louder and I suspected that it's more pleasure to (rock & roll) young people's ears than the "over the hill" guys.

The sound (tone) of OM/PW to me is more mellow, "Dreamlike", may be a little less volume and not as punchy as OM and I suspected that it's more pleasure to the melancholy kind of guys.

In all there are no better or worse for these 2 guitars to my ears. Just like sometimes I'm in a mood for different kind of music or singers or songs and they all give me different kind of pleasure in different time.

Now about the "neck" feels and playability. I simply love Cruz's necks and particularly the Modified V neck that fits my hands/fingers so well. I'm a kind of guy who love to go (and stumbled all over the neck!). The OM has more "standard" C shape neck while the OM/PW has the modified V shape neck. To me I was surprised myself when I had a chance to play the V shape neck few years back (on the other guitar, not Santa Cruz). I think I like to play V than the Standard C! And not too many people that I know prefer to play V!

Again, please take my opinion as a grain of salt, Your Mileage May Vary of courseTongue

Sample of OM;

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bJqB84i6908" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sample of OM/PW

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5XGv2AsB2Vk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[A friendship needs a little mulch of contacts every so often-just to save it from drying out completely.

I always have great pleasure being alone by myself to play, If you're playing for any other reason, it won't last.
http://youtu.be/_tkGVGOKQ8c
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2012, 00:22 by napman.)
05-02-2012, 00:14
Website Find Like Post Reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes napman's post:
nhoy (07-01-2015)
Maow Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 53
RE: Santa Cruz OM and OM/PW's Tone and Neck playabilty
ขอบคุณน้า Nap ที่ให้ความกระจ่างครับ
05-02-2012, 07:30
Find Like Post Reply
parker1713 Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 286
I think this post would reply to many who has the question mind about these 2 models including myself. Personally I like "OM" shape more than any other.

Yesterday we just have A-B test among guitar lovers between Santa Cruz F and Bourgoies OM:

Santa Cruz sounds sweet and harmonized well
Bourgoies is more projection with very strong tone but the note is not harmonized well as Santa Cruz

So this post is fruitful to guys like us.

Thanks for sharing
05-02-2012, 07:36
Find Like Post Reply
nhoy Offline
Posting Freak

Likes Given: 43
ขอบคุณน้า Nap และน้า parker ด้วยครับ
ผมเองเป็นอีกคนหนึ่งที่ชอบ Santa Cruz โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งทรง OM ครับ
05-04-2012, 15:38
Find Like Post Reply
noomxman Offline

Likes Given: 6
(05-04-2012, 15:38)nhoy Wrote: ขอบคุณน้า Nap และน้า parker ด้วยครับ

ผมก็ชอบครับตอนนี้ตั้งเป้าแล้วว่า ถ้าสถานะการณ์พร้อมคงต้องใด้ครอบครองซักวันนึงครับ Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
ชีวิตมันสั้น ทำมันให้ดีที่สุด
06-04-2012, 01:59
Find Like Post Reply
nhoy Offline
Posting Freak

(06-04-2012, 01:59)noomxman Wrote:

ผมก็ชอบครับตอนนี้ตั้งเป้าแล้วว่า ถ้าสถานะการณ์พร้อมคงต้องใด้ครอบครองซักวันนึงครับ Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
สวัสดีครับน้า noomxman
Guild ของน้า noomxman ก็เยี่ยมมากนะครับ ShySmileShy

(This post was last modified: 06-04-2012, 07:00 by nhoy.)
06-04-2012, 06:58
Find Like Post Reply
noomxman Offline

Likes Given: 6
(06-04-2012, 06:58)nhoy Wrote:
(06-04-2012, 01:59)noomxman Wrote:

สวัสดีครับน้า noomxman
Guild ของน้า noomxman ก็เยี่ยมมากนะครับ ShySmileShy

สวัสดีน้าnhoy เช่นกันครับGuildตัวนี้ผมก็รักมากครับ : D: D: D
ชีวิตมันสั้น ทำมันให้ดีที่สุด
06-04-2012, 11:06
Find Like Post Reply
nhoy Offline
Posting Freak

เนื่องจาก Santa Cruz เป็นกีต้าร์ที่ผมชอบและใช้อยู่ จึงอยากจะทราบความเห็นและความรู้สึกของน้าๆ ที่เล่นแบรนด์นี้
หวังว่าน้าๆ จะกรุณาสละเวลาเล่าสู่กันฟังนะครับ
26-09-2014, 21:41
Find Like Post Reply