Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old man's wisdom
napman Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 91
Old man's wisdom
Last Sunday we went to North Hollywood for our weekend tennis and dropped by at Wat Thai Los Angeles so my brother-in-law could take some pictures (He came from Chiang Mai to visit us). I didn't get in Wat but waited in the car because there's no parking spot left.

They came out and my wife told me she met Pa Roon (Aroon Sriboonruang) that we haven't met for about a year. Pa Roon told her that he had something at YouTube and asked her to watch it whenever she had time.

Our families are so closed to each other, one of the reason is Pa Roon's current wife is my wife's friend (There were in same Missionary Nursing school in BKK)

If you have time please watch this one, Pa Roon is one of the very few people in my life that I respect so much that I wish I would be like him if I live that long. I met and know him since I arrived LA in 1972 and got beaten by him in Tennis Tournament few times when I started to play this game. He's one of very few most respectful person in Los Angeles,

Please enjoy his life here;Cool

There are 4 parts of his story, I personally think it's worth it to spend your time.
[A friendship needs a little mulch of contacts every so often-just to save it from drying out completely.

I always have great pleasure being alone by myself to play, If you're playing for any other reason, it won't last.
http://youtu.be/_tkGVGOKQ8c
(This post was last modified: 16-06-2011, 00:22 by napman.)
16-06-2011, 00:18
Website Find Like Post Reply
korkai Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: Old man's wisdom
โอโฮ 97 ปี แล้วยังแข็งแรงมากๆ
ไม่น่าเชื่อครับพี่ Nap
16-06-2011, 06:39
Find Like Post Reply
napman Offline
VIP member

Pa Roon just passed on peacefully less than 2 weeks ago at his home.

There'll be Buddhist ceremony for him at Wat Thai (North Hollywood) on Nov. 3th, 4th and 5th. Cremation will be at Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Santa Monica Blvd on Sunday 6th (I believe)

We (I, my wife and my tennis friends and of course so many others) will go to celebrate his long and meaningful life on Thur. 3rd evening at Wat Thai. But will not able to go to his cremation on Sunday because we'll leave Los Angeles to Zion National Park in Utah on Sat.4th morning for a 2 night camping/hiking trip.

May he RIP forever.
[A friendship needs a little mulch of contacts every so often-just to save it from drying out completely.

I always have great pleasure being alone by myself to play, If you're playing for any other reason, it won't last.
(This post was last modified: 26-10-2011, 01:00 by napman.)
25-10-2011, 23:26
povation Offline
Roundback

Likes Given: 328
RIP ครับ
All I Have
The dreams come true
Facebook : Povation NH
26-10-2011, 07:37
karn Offline
you may say I'm a dreamer

Likes Given: 81
ขอดวงวิญญาณป๋ารุณสู่สุคติภพครับ

และรอชมภาพสวยๆจาก Zion National Park อยู่นะครับพี่
(ดูภาพจาก google แล้วสวยมากๆครับ)
In my life, I love you more... [Image: 2685i.jpg]

26-10-2011, 21:13
Find Like Post Reply
napman Offline
VIP member

(26-10-2011, 21:13)karn Wrote: ขอดวงวิญญาณป๋ารุณสู่สุคติภพครับ

และรอชมภาพสวยๆจาก Zion National Park อยู่นะครับพี่
(ดูภาพจาก google แล้วสวยมากๆครับ)

I'm so sure that Pa Roon will be happy in any place/dimension, he's that kind of guy. I'm trying to look at this world like him too :-))

And about Zion pics.
You mean from this one?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Zion+Nati...n&biw=2025

(This post was last modified: 26-10-2011, 23:09 by napman.)
26-10-2011, 23:07
karn Offline
you may say I'm a dreamer

Likes Given: 81
(26-10-2011, 23:07)napman Wrote: And about Zion pics.
You mean from this one?

http://www.google.com/search?q=Zion+Nati...n&biw=2025

ครับพี่ สวยทุกภาพเลยครับBig Grin
In my life, I love you more... [Image: 2685i.jpg]

27-10-2011, 11:22
Find Like Post Reply
napman Offline
VIP member

First off, I?m sorry that I kept re-activated this thread midst the chaotic flooding circumstances in Thailand and particularly in Bangkok right at this moment. And I?ll try my best to make it as short article as possible even I?ve been knowing him since I was in my late 20s.

But I just woke up from a dream that I had dream about Pa Roon for the first time in my life less than an hour ago.

I don?t recall dreaming about him even if we?ve been known each other since late 70s. Today after my wife gets off work at 7.00 pm we?ll go to Wat Thai at North Hollywood for PR?s Buddhist ceremony, I?ll drive from our home to pick her up at her working hospital in Glendale and go together to Wat Thai.

So let me take this opportunity to use this thread as PR?s eulogy here.

I?ve met him for the first time in my life after heard quite a few stories about his life when I arrived at Los Angeles in 1972. I got married in 1979 and was in the beginning stage of playing tennis because my wife was and still is so fanatic about tennis and I was also quit playing soccer at that period.

I was playing in the rock band at the ?Thai House? in Hollywood area (Western & Santa Monica) that was own and ran by Veerachai Thanasugarn (Father of Tamarin Thanasugarn, the first professional Thai tennis player) in around 1977 and VT himself was also an avid tennis player and also all of his 3 children plus Tamarin who was still a few years old baby running around her dad?s restaurant and sometime I even held her in my arms too.

VT asked me to join him in forming the very first Thai tennis tournament in Los Angeles and I gladly obliged. VT introduced me to Pa Roon and the other guy Preecha NakThong who was the father of another Thai kid tennis player who were active in tennis scene at the time. Four of us were the very first spearheads for Thai tennis tournament that kept on active until recent years (VT moved back to Thailand many years ago).

I didn?t really think about PR as much before I went to sleep last night, so to dream about him was kind of surprised me. I dreamed that I and him and other 3 friends went trekking up the mountain. I and PR teamed up as a pair while the other 3 friends teamed up as the other team, and my team of me and PR reached the summit first!! I dreamed that he kept pushing me up until I reached the summit! And I even dreamed on that I later went to his party of some kind and he handed me some kind of trophy for my effort!!

You see, I and him were pretty closely working as a team while we tried to develop and sponsored those Thai tennis tournaments years ago. And when PR got re-married (when he was about 70 years old) to my wife?s junior classmate (they are nurses that graduated from Mission medical school in Bangkok in 1972) we became even closer. PR and Thiangsiri his wife have 3 lovely children; Fonthip, PR junior and Emily. Their children sometime played tennis together with my children when they were at their young age.

My family moved away from LA in 1989 to live in Alta Loma so we didn?t see each other as often as we did before until only few months ago that my wife dropped by at Wat Thai and coincidently met PR for the last time.

I wanted to say that PR is one of my few inspiration individuals in my life in many ways. But one of his characteristic that so outstood in my mind is how he treated his friends and associates. I?ve never once in my life heard him mention any bad thing about anybody!

Of course he?s not a Saint in any mean, he was just another people that came into my life but man he?s really lived his life that many other would envy him!! He was an talented tennis player as we all knew, Nobody could touch him when he was in his prime. He was a kind of very sportsmanship athlete, always a graceful winner and importantly even loser in his later years (he beat me in tennis like a drum when I first started and he was about 30 plus years older than me!). He would be 98 if he?d lived until this coming December but of course nobody knows his/her last day. He even wrote some memo of his life and planned how to celebrate his 100th birthday when it comes that of course will never materialized!

He was and is and will be the legend of our time especially for Thai people in Los Angeles to talk about in so many years to come. He?ll live in my memory and he?ll be one of my idols that I will try to learn to live and be a nice person like him in many ways.

We?ll be at Wat Thai in about 12 hours from now to celebrate his legendary life for this extraordinary person in my life, I salute you Pa Roon my dear old friend, from the bottom of my heart. It?s been a good actual life learning lessons of 30 plus year of knowing you, SIR.

Photobucket

(This post was last modified: 04-11-2011, 21:47 by napman.)
03-11-2011, 21:02