Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pete Huttlinger
napman Offline
VIP member

Likes Given: 91
RE: Pete Huttlinger
An updated on 5/5/2011 from Erin Huttlinger (Pete's wife)as follow;

Today was probably the longest day of my life. No matter how positive of an attitude I have and no matter how in the moment I usually am, I was scared to death today. Terrified. Pete's been through a lot of trauma, but nothing like I've witnessed in the last couple of months. His health decline has been so rapid. It's been 5 days since he was LifeFlighted to Houston from Nashville. These 5 days have been spent getting him stablized enough for surgery. And there really was no decision involved. He had to have this mechanical implant (VAD - Ventricular Assist Device) or he was not going to live. It's the second time in his life he's had to have his chest opened. The first was right before his 13th birthday.

They took him into surgery around 10:30am this morning. Surgery was overseen by Dr. Bud Frazier, a leader in this type of heart surgery--I guess that's why Vanderbilt sent us to him. Pete was finally sent to post-Op about 6:30pm tonight. He survived the surgery. Step 1. He is on a ventilator and will be for probably about 3 days, possibly more. He is highly sedated, although they bring him out a little bit to talk to him and make sure he's still "in there." I was able to talk to him tonight and I feel strongly that he could hear me. There are a lot of graphic details that I won't share here for Pete's sake, but he's still in a lot of distress and the doctors are working on improving his vital signs and vital organs in a lot of ways.

I have to say here that our guardian angel is Dr. Frank Fish. Many of you have met Dr. Fish. He's done more for us than I can begin to recount here. But I just wanted to acknowledge that.

I'll be able to go back and see Pete early in the morning, but they won't let me stay very long. Houston is my new summer home, and I'm grateful for that.

And here's the update from Erin yesterday;

Update:

Thank you everyone! The messages here have been overwhelming and reassuring. Sean and James have really enjoyed reading these and hearing how much support their stepdad has from all of you.

Pete continues to improve every day. As of yesterday, they removed the ventilator and he is breathing on his own. A big step. He also is no longer under any anesthesia so he is awake and alert. He can speak if he wants to but is very tired, so he doesn't very much. He is still in OR Recovery so I can only see him a few minutes every few hours. Hopefull he will get moved to a regular Intensive Care room in the next few days.

I am headed back over to the hospital at 5pm tonight. I have not yet read Pete all these wonderful messages. I think he's too tired, but I have told him that once he's ready to read them, or have me read them to him, they are here waiting for him.

I know that many of you have made generous offers to help with finances and health expenses. I am setting up a special fund and will post the information here this evening. Thank you again. I am overwhelmed with your generosity.

Erin Huttlinger
[A friendship needs a little mulch of contacts every so often-just to save it from drying out completely.

I always have great pleasure being alone by myself to play, If you're playing for any other reason, it won't last.
http://youtu.be/_tkGVGOKQ8c
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2011, 09:40 by napman.)
09-05-2011, 09:38
Website Find Like Post Reply

Messages In This Thread
Pete Huttlinger - by napman - 05-05-2011, 01:41
RE: Pete Huttlinger - by folkenman - 05-05-2011, 10:35
RE: Pete Huttlinger - by napman - 09-05-2011, 09:38
RE: Pete Huttlinger - by napman - 30-05-2011, 23:06